Mold Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Kansas City Mold? Here Are Some Tips
All areas of the country are affected by microorganism proliferation, structural damage to property, prized possessions, and more. Kansas City has its share of severe weather fronts and changing seasons that induce dormant mold spores to sprout and become problematic.
Preventing Mold Makes Sense
Since these fungi do not require photosynthesis, lack of sunlight does not stymie colonies from forming. Moisture is the magical ingredient that you, as a property owner or investor, must control.
• Install or keep in good repair bathroom exhaust fans to channel excel moisture to the exterior of the building
• Never ignore a dripping valve under the kitchen sink or bathroom vanity
• Bleach is not a good product for exterminating mold hyphae, the hidden network of filaments
• Maintain a relative humidity (RH) inside to about 40%
• Keep that thermostat set at 76 degrees or lower
The SERVPRO crew of AMRT applied microbial remediation technicians are trained and can prevent small problems in your Kansas City home from becoming big ones.
For the DIYers
The recommendation of mold infestations larger than ten square feet, roughly 3 x 3, should be dealt with by professionals.
• Spots on caulking around the tub or commode, sure apply a fungicide and see what happens.
• A few spots on grout lines in the shower stall, try there too
• Mold in the pantry visible in the corner--Call SERVPRO
The best tip deal to grapple with mold growth in your home, call us!
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (913) 782-4693
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Olathe / Lenexa and SERVPRO of Blue Valley for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Olathe / Lenexa and SERVPRO of Blue Valley has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Overland Park
- Kansas City
- Prairie Village
- Spring Hill
- New Century